Our client is a leading Engineering client and is looking for an experienced Strategic Buyer for a role in the Midlands.
Job Specification: Temporary Strategic Buyer – NPI
As a Strategic Buyer, you will be responsible for sourcing a wide scope of commodities and co-ordinating the New Product Introduction (NPI) at country level
• Responsible for a list of commodities including Electronics, Electrical & Mechanical Components, fabricated assemblies, and the NPI / Industrialisation of these products from international sites.
• Those commodities will ultimately represent an external spend in excess of 20 m USD$
• A strategic buyer may liaise with a team of buyers in the UK, France & Spain.
Network & Links
- Internal: all businesses of the sub-cluster / country using the commodities they are responsible for. Planning, Procurement & Supply Chain. Engineering. Project management
- External: Suppliers for negotiation and partnership; administrative authorities and lawyers in case of claim or conflicts
As a Strategic Buyer, you will be responsible for sourcing a wide scope of commodities country / cluster level
• Managing and developing the sub-cluster / country supplier panel in line with the clients Solutions global sourcing strategy, and in a close relation with the KCM/local commodity buyer dedicated to those commodities
• Coordinate the NPI programme requirements & liaise with local commodity managers to review deadlines and cost reduction strategies.
• Raising and reviewing RFQ’s and providing full analysis of price evolution.
• Propose & implement cost reduction actions for the NPI.
• Negotiate price conditions (price, payment terms, Incoterms, warranty, logistic requirements) with suppliers
• Support the clients decisions (factories & project offices) facing logistic, quality or price issues with the suppliers in their portfolio
• Identify and develop new suppliers / materials / technologies in line with the Project requirement
• Collaborate with Engineering & SQA for supplier development
• Continuous supplier market analysis
• Negotiating agreements with suppliers (contractual conditions)
• Providing analysis on market, new products, new comers, legal constraints, etc
Reporting their activity (especially savings) to management.
Define and deploy the site or country sourcing strategy per commodity in line with the Grid Solutions global commodities strategies defined by the KCM team
- Close collaboration with engineering & quality to develop new suppliers
- Initiate and deploy “design to sourcing” actions with engineering & strategic suppliers to reduce TCO
• Supplier Assessments to ensure capacity, capability, financial stability and overall suitability for supply/manufacture.
Comply with Quality Procedures, work instructions and Processes in accordance with the clients requirements. Report or resolve any non-conformances and process in a timely manner
Health and Safety
Demonstrate commitment to safety through participation in formal and informal discussions
Adhere to all safe working procedures in accordance with instructions
Ensure safety work instructions are complied with
Participate in the resolution of safety issues.
Initiate actions to improve health and safety where needed
• Savings and other KPI’s are aligned with target (budget, EAS…)
• Supplier panel management
• Terms of payment evolution
• Quality of reporting accuracy
• Bachelors' degree in business or engineering related subject
• CIPS qualified
Experience and Knowledge
• 3-5 years’ experience in sourcing (or purchasing) function
• 3 years’ experience in NPI project management
• Strong negotiation skills
• Creative and tenacious
The following requirements are desired and will be used to differentiate all candidates who apply for this position.
• Knowledge in Electronics / Electrical components
• Flexibility to work on multiple projects
• Clear prioritisation of workload
• Project Management
• SAP experience
• International sourcing exposure
• Fluency in English (spoken & written)
• Results oriented