To ensure the continued safe and reliable operation of the Sellindge HVDC Converter Station through the efficient maintenance of substation assets.
Provide assistance and support to the wider team in ensuring the effective day-to-day utilisation of resources and prioritisation of work within the tasks and projects allocated.
- Provide support and assistance to the ET Team Leader, as well as other team members whilst simultaneously undertaking a project.
- Ensure that team members are set to work in the correct manner, including:
- The provision of risk assessments and method statements
- Presenting and recording of tool box talks to relevant parties on site
- Enact the Project Leader role in delivery of work packages – ensuring productivity, efficiency and utilisation of various work groups by taking responsibility for direct control of staff, and managing project expenditure.
- Monitor, review and progress work undertaken by contractors, including enacting roles as defined in CDM Regulations
- Undertake standby and emergency call out duties as part of an agreed standby rota
- Undertake roles as defined in National Grid’s Safety Rules and or Sellindge Interconnector Safety Rules
- Be proactive in all aspects of the work programme, communicating with the Sellindge team or the line manager as appropriate. Enable the work to stay on programme and be updated as appropriate to maintain target prioritisation.
- Undertake a range of duties on plant and equipment, as required to a defined standard. This will include but not be limited to; maintenance, site delivery of projects, major fault investigation and repair, safety implementation and monitoring, supervising internal team members, monitoring external contractors to ensure optimum efficiency, cost effectiveness, and safety as appropriate.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- Typically, a knowledge and understanding of substations work and/or on HV cable systems, encompassing electrical, mechanical, civil and telecoms engineering disciplines.
- In depth, technical knowledge relating to the electrical and safety aspects of substation plant, together with fault finding expertise and plant analysis.
- Knowledge of DC systems
- Knowledge of and experience of having worked on Gas Insulated Switchgear.
- Knowledge of Protection and Control systems.
- Environmental knowledge and understanding in respect of day-to-day duties, together with proven ability to respond to emergency situations.
- Application of SAP duties as authorised across a large range of equipment.
- Ability to assist with the commissioning of a wide range of equipment to recognised standards and procedures
- Project delivery experience will be required.
- Effective planning, resource management, communication and supervisory skills to lead large groups of staff to achieve efficient completion of tasks.
- Demonstrate a self-reliance approach to common work related problems, using IS systems to resolve them.
- Minimum HNC or equivalent in an engineering discipline, preferably electrical engineering
- TP141 as required (Desirable yet not essential dependant on previous experience)
- Senior Authorised Person under National Grid’s Safety Rules (Desirable yet not essential dependant on previous experience)
- NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent