We currently have an exciting new opportunity for a Principal System Development Engineer working within a high-calibre Engineering team. The role is to lead delivery of innovative Fuel Cell System (FCS) mechanical designs, which harness the potential of the company’s Steel-Cell technology. Projects will vary from production designs focused on low cost manufacture, through to small batch prototypes of complete systems.
The successful candidate will couple creative design flair with an attention to quality. They will have a solid understanding of mechanical engineering principles and experience of both rapid-prototyping and volume manufacturing techniques.
• Deliver detailed mechanical design solutions for FCS :
- Overall system mechanical layout and packaging.
- Design for manufacture and assembly.
- Design verification and validation planning and execution.
- Drawing checking and release control.
- Design for service and installation in OEM applications.
- Mechanical design of temperature sensors & actuators for robustness and serviceability.
- Mechanical and thermal design of system insulation.
- Task management and design function resource allocation.
- Outsource design service selection and management.
- Design resource recruitment support.
- Champion design process discipline from concept to design release.
• Interface definition
- Specify and validate the mechanical interfaces between the FCS and surrounding components.
- Maintain interface control documentation with OEMs and other system suppliers.
• Supplier liaison
- Work with key FCS suppliers to deliver FCS components design solutions.
- Develop bottom-up cost models to support commercial discussions.
- Provide critical review of supplier designs.
- Ensure supplier models, design documentation and DFMEAs are in place and correct.
• Analysis (CFD or FEA)
- Perform or direct design analysis to support the mechanical design process (eg FEA).
• Support OEM integration of FCS
- Support OEM with their product CAD modelling.
- Support fault resolution.
• Provide expert mechanical design guidance to other areas of the business as required and lead/support design reviews.
• Continuous improvement of mechanical design methods and practices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Mechanical engineering degree or equivalent higher level engineering qualification.
• 5-10 years’ experience with designing complex mechanical systems.
• Relevant industrial sector experience eg automotive, aerospace or white-goods including a broad understanding of physical, chemical and engineering principles.
• Strong expertise in mechanical design methodology and product development processes as applied to the full product lifecycle.
• Knowledge of manufacturing and assembly processes including quality control methods.
• Design experience with complex mechanical systems comprising high temperature operation and insulation, pressurised systems, gas and liquid flow control, electronic controls and power electronics.
• A strong understanding of computer aided engineering; component and systems modelling.
• CAD (Creo2) intermediate level proficiency for concept design activity and reviewing/checking of design team output.
• Experience of using product data management systems (Teamcentre, Windchill, DDM etc) in a robust design release and engineering change control process environment.
• Some knowledge and experience of using FEA analysis software such as Creo Simulate (ProE Mechanical) or other applications would be an advantage.
• Sound knowledge of drawing Geometrical Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T).
• Several years’ experience in design team management and task delivery planning.
• Excellent communication skills with proven ability to contribute to design review meetings and form working relationships with supplier partners and peers groups.
Should you be interested in more details, please feel free to give me a call me or send me an e-mail.