SUMMARY OF ROLE:
Degree qualified and preferably of Chartered Engineer status, the successful candidate will be required to lead and deliver our infrastructure portfolio throughout Scotland. This person will be enthusiastic, having a good appreciation of civil infrastructure projects as main contractor.
The person appointed will be experienced in successfully winning and delivering civil engineering infrastructure projects.
A knowledge of bid management and work winning process is required and possessing the commercial acumen to deliver successful design and build/ construct-only projects for demanding customers whilst achieving all company and stakeholder targets.
Day-to-day responsibility for delivering and growing our waste Scottish business in a safe, qualitative and sustainable manner, whilst achieving and reporting on all commercial objectives.
Developing a significant team of Project leaders, planners and support staff expected to be in excess of 75 in total
- Positively support and appropriately manage the construction of a number of projects.
- Ensure the business is sustainable in the long term
- Adhere to corporate governance requirements
- Ensure the company‘s philosophy is embraced within the business unit
- Contribute to policy decisions of the company
- Increase the business market share through developing contacts and effective marketing
- Be aware of economic and social influencing factors which will affect the business
- Seek work streams which increase profitability and enhance market value
- Obtain customer feedback and react when appropriate
- Recruit and develop staff to ensure adequate succession planning
- Ensure company systems are operated and developed
- Enforce company discipline when required
- Oversee its operations to ensure the business projects a positive image
- Able to articulate clearly a business vision and ambition
- Able to easily develop strong relationships and leverage these for business development
- Commercially astute with an awareness of changing market conditions and influences.
- Good knowledge and experience of differing conditions of contract
- Knowledge of market and competitor intelligence, benchmarking and knowledge management.
- Experience of working in Joint Venture and private finance areas
- Ability to inspire, motivate, recruit, develop and manage a senior team.
- Possess commercial acumen and proven ability to continually develop business relationships and markets.
- Ability to negotiate and influence at a senior level.
- Well-developed communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strategic awareness with an ability to translate strategic objectives into operational plans and manage their delivery.
- Customer focussed with a drive for continuous improvement and service delivery.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIALIST TRAINING
- Degree qualified in an appropriate discipline
- Membership of professional body with chartered status e.g. CIOB or ICE
- CSCS card or equivalent
- Detailed knowledge of the Scottish market
- Evidence of business unit development and building a business skills
- An understanding of work winning
- Working knowledge of other civil engineering sectors
- Comprehensive understanding of the principles of contract law.
- Commercially astute and able to gain competitive advantage
- Understanding of production budgets and ongoing monitoring of financial performance.
- Knowledge of construction planning/costs in use.
- Excellent appreciation and application of Health & Safety in the work place.
- Team player with collaborative behaviours
- Demonstrable evidence of skills development in self and others