We are currently looking for an experienced Design Manager.
The successful candidate will manage the design of complex and large value projects (£20m plus) from tender stage through to the start of the construction phase.
The Design Manager will utilise construction knowledge and experience to develop innovative and cost effective design solutions in conjunction with the design team, apply value engineering principles to ensure best value for all parties, and ensure an effective construction phase by applying an understanding of site management practices, risks, costs and co-ordination.
The candidate will manage the design delivery to meet the requirements of the construction programme.
- Develop innovative design solutions to clients briefs with input from the professional team and subcontractors;
- Develop relationships with clients during early concept stages; manage expectations of the project through regular communication and discussions regarding requirements and specifications;
- Manage the relationship for the whole project team - with the client, subcontractors and professional team resolve any queries;
- Identify and check contents for Contractors Proposals, qualifications list, design information and marketing documentation to accompany the tender;
- Adopt a proactive approach to value engineering throughout the design phase, by keeping up to date with latest construction techniques and legislation;
- Review the design on an ongoing basis, identify potential interface problems & practicalities in construction, and resolve with the design team and specialist subcontractors where appropriate;
- Ensure a smooth handover of the project to the project team, by becoming involved in the initial stages of project management on site, if required;
- Attend Contractor selection interviews, including preparation beforehand;
- Thoroughly appraise tender documentation when received to identify risk, opportunity, insufficient information, inadequate or incorrect design;
- Oversee the subcontract enquiries to subcontractor designed packages;
- Appoint / vet the Design Team. Ensuring terms and conditions of appointment/novation are acceptable, lead designer role is defined and all services we would normally expect are included;
- Manage the design team throughout the tender period and hold design team meetings as appropriate;
- Bid Management from first enquiry through to award of contract;
- Plan/manage the tender period to ensure that:
1.Sufficient design information is received in time;
2. In conjunction with the Estimator ensure that the BQ is prepared sufficiently early;
3. Design subcontractors have sufficient information to prepare quotations;
4. Information for presentation purposes is in-hand by consultants and other departments.
- Manage the relationship with the client and their team;
- Prepare the Tender submission presentation including delegation of certain elements to other departments or administrative staff as appropriate;
- Any other duties relevant to the role.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Competent user of MS packages e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word (essential);
- Experience of Powerproject Teamplan or similar (desirable);
- Causeway or similar estimating software (desirable);
- Comprehensive site experience in engineering or site management role (essential);
- Well developed Technical Construction knowledge (essential);
- Knowledge of current Building Regulations (essential);
- Knowledge of current BREEAM/Passivhaus requirements (essential);
- Degree qualified in a relevant construction subject (essential);
- Professionally qualified e.g. MCIOB (desirable).
- Ability to communicate with a range of people at all levels, both verbally and in writing (essential);
- Adaptable and flexible (essential);
- Ability to plan, organise and project manage (essential);
- Analytical problem solver (essential);
- Client and customer focused in order to build productive relationships (essential);
- Ability to make reasoned and informed judgements and decisions (essential);
- Ability to work independently and also in a team environment (essential);
- Effective leadership skills (essential).