Rubicon consulting is currently recruiting for Control Engineer on a contract based in Stafford.
The Control Systems Engineer supports the design and implementation of HVDC Control Systems by analysing customer requirements, assessing the necessary deviation from standard solutions, modelling the proposed HVDC control system, providing requirements for the hardware and software teams to implement and validating the resulting system through DPS and protection coordination studies.
- Clause-by-clause analysis of customer technical specifications
- Gap analysis between standard and customer technical requirements
- Defining control system requirements for the software architecture, development and verification teams to work from
- Responses to technical queries from clients
- Technical leadership during FST and FAT programs to ensure proper verification and validation of control and protection system performance against requirements
- PSSE/PSCAD and PSSE/RSCAD Power system network conversion, modelling and verification
- HVDC System in electromagnetic transient tools like PSCAD, EMTP-RV etc.
- Plant modelling in various simulation tools (MATLAB, RSCAD, PSCAD etc) and its verification.
- Dynamic performance studies using both offline and online simulation tools
- Control and protection parameters tuning to meet grid stability criteria specified in customer technical specifications.
- Sub-synchronous oscillation electromagnetic transient simulation studies
- Protection coordination design and validation
- Algorithm and state machine development in MATLB Simulink
- Conversion of MATLB Simulink algorithms to other suitable time domain library models
Qualifications / Essential Requirements
• Engineering degree or equivalent including power systems and power electronics subjects or proven equivalent knowledge and experience in HVDC business
• Strong sense of urgency and ability to identify and manage technical risks
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, experienced in creating and presenting technical reports and responding to clients’ technical questions
• Ability to understand and communicate customer requirements, lead technical discussions with customers and develop client relationships
• Understanding of Systems Engineering principles and requirements management
• Understanding of functional characteristics of power systems and interactions between AC and HVDC systems
• Able to work to deadlines under pressure whilst maintaining the safety, quality and engineering integrity of the solution
• Must be flexible with working hours and willing to travel in order to support projects globally
• Knowledge of applicable electrical standards such as IEC 61850, IEC 62351, IEC 12207, IEEE 15288, IEC 25010, IEC 27032, NERC/CIP
• Studies in Electrical engineering
• Ability to define requirements and ensure they adhere to best practice
Rubicon Consulting is a Talent management consultancy which helps you to optimise business performance and competitive advantage by choosing the right people first time!