Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the UK office is recruiting a Chief Engineer with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a transmission and driveline environment.
- Be responsible for the technical delivery of complete transmission and driveline systems.
- Lead transmission concept, design and packaging studies and present both internally, and to clients.
- Technical lead for business development and proposals.
- Manage a team of transmission focused engineers.
- Manage component and system design, detailing and 2D drawings from prototype to production.
- Drawing approval.
- Adhere to internal and external design standards including GD&T and develop new internal standards and processes.
- Liaison with other Group sites in order to co-ordinate design activities and ensure delivery is in line with the programme requirements.
- Lead internal and external design reviews.
- Be familiar with the appropriate quality and CAD based CAE tools – specifically relating to gear, shaft and bearing analysis.
- Work closely with suppliers to ensure that parts meet requirements.
- Lead continuous improvement activities.
- Evaluate results of component testing with the development team.
- Provide design input to support production and product planning.
- Effectively communicate progress to the Engineering Manager and the wider team.
- Understand the basics of gear design, (parallel and bevel) and have a good understanding of DFM and DFA.
- Lead DFMEA reviews.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Degree qualified (2:1 minimum) Mechanical/Automotive engineer.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in efficient, innovative and lightweight transmission and driveline concepts and design.
- A very high level of technical knowledge in transmission component and system design.
- A very good understanding of the testing that would be required to take a transmission into volume production.
- An automotive consulting background would be beneficial.
- Significant knowledge of prototype and volume transmission build methods, manufacturing techniques, production methods and design for service requirements.
- Significant experience leading and motivating a team.
- Able to work under pressure from demanding clients and ensure that the highest standards are maintained at all times.
- Familiarity with 3D CAD packages and associated processes. Ability to critique technical work content and reports.
The Client uses Microsoft office based products.
OTHER BENEFICIAL ATTRIBUTES:
Experience working with companies in Germany.
Knowledge of SAP.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- A positive attitude with a high level of self-motivation and self-reliance.
- A willingness to operate outside their normal comfort zone.
- Excellent team and communication skills.
- Well organised and able to remain focused under pressure.