Established for 30 years and with Engineering centres in The EU, America and the Far East the company has now opened a UK office providing automotive engineering expertise to many of the world’s automotive OEMs, Tier 1 suppliers and automotive development companies.
Employing over 500 highly skilled personnel, the core technical capabilities of the combined Group include the design through to production of mechanical, electrical and hydraulic components, modules and systems for all sectors of the automotive industry. The organisation has many designs in volume production and is a series production supplier to Tier 1’s as well as being an approved supplier to the VAG Group.
As part of Groups global growth, and the continuing expansion of the UK facility, a vacancies have arisen for a senior transmission design engineer/s to join the business at the Warwickshire office.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager / Functional Chief Engineer, our Client seeks a Senior Transmission Design Engineer/s with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in Automotive (Automatic and Manual) Transmission Design.
- Participate in transmission concept studies and generate high level concepts for presentation internally and to customers.
- Component and system level packaging studies to define constraints within existing and / or new powertrain / chassis architectures.
- Component and system design, detailing and 2D drawings from prototype to production.
- Adhere to internal and external design standards including GD&T .
- Liaison with other Group sites in order to co-ordinate design activities and ensure delivery is in line with customer requirements.
- Support internal and external design and DMU reviews and chair if required.
- Use appropriate quality and CAD based CAE tools - specifically relating to gear, shaft and bearing analysis.
- Work closely with suppliers to ensure that parts meet requirements.
- Assist with the preparation of BOMs and build manuals.
- Release components, sub-assemblies and assemblies.
- Support and evaluate the results of component testing with the development team.
- Provide design input to support production and product planning.
- Effectively communicate progress to the Chief Engineer and the wider team.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Degree (BSc/BEng) qualified (2:1 minimum) Sciences / Mechanical / Automotive Engineer
- A minimum of 5 years demonstrable experience in efficient, innovative and lightweight transmission and driveline concepting and design.
- A high level of technical knowledge in transmission component and system design. Significant experience with casing design would be an advantage.
- A good understanding of the testing that would be required to take a transmission into volume production.
- An automotive consulting background would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of prototype and volume transmission build methods, manufacturing techniques and design for service requirements.
- Experienced user of 2D/3D Catia V5
- Understanding of the different manufacturing techniques used in transmission production.
- PC literate and able to confidently use MS Office products.
OTHER BENEFICIAL ATTRIBUTES:
Knowledge of the German language and experience working with companies in Germany.
- High attention to detail.
- A positive attitude with a high level of self-motivation and self-reliance.
- A willingness to operate outside their normal comfort zone.
- Excellent team and communication skills.
- Well organised and able to remain focused under pressure.